Run Wales, Welsh Athletics’ social running programme, Women’s Health magazine and Run 4 Wales, organisers of the Cardiff University/Cardiff Half Marathon have teamed to help celebrate the rise of women’s running at this year’s race as part of the #WhyWeRun campaign.
The campaign was launched
to celebrate the fact that for the first time in the events 16-year history,
female runners are expected to make up the majority of participants.
100 free places for a once
in a lifetime race day experience on Sunday 6th October have been
made available to women who are part of a Run Wales registered social running group.
We’re looking for teams of
between 5 and 10 women from registered social running groups (registering your
group is free) who are new to the half marathon distance. Hardened, experienced
half marathon runners need not apply – but women who have not taken on 13.1
miles before and are up for the challenge are encouraged to get involved.
Eve took part in a similar initiative at the Cardiff Half in 2016:
“Running has truly changed my life for the better, I’ve made new friends for life, I’m healthier and happier and wouldn’t change it for the world and I would have never said that three years ago.“
You can read Eve’s story here.
What do winners receive?
- A free 2019 Cardiff University/Cardiff Half
Marathon race entry
- A 12-week half-marathon training programme
- Access to a closed digital support group on
- VIP start experience at Cardiff Castle
- Exclusive baggage area
- Post-race reception
- Invite to at least 2 training events
- A Run Wales 100 training t-shirt and race
- Goodies from Cardiff Half sponsors
- A DW Fitness First gym day pass
How do we apply?
- Get a team together of between 5 and 10
runners from your Run Wales registered social running group
- Complete an application form, before 5pm
on the 4th July – and tell us about your group and your runners
including #WhyWeRun in no more than 300 words here.
- Send us a video and/or picture via social
media helping explain why we should pick your group @RunWales and @CardiffHalf
- If you haven’t done so already, make sure
to register your group here
What do we need for you?
- To complete an application form by 5pm on the 4th July here.
- To be part of a Run Wales registered group (registering is free)
- Be available to attend a welcome event and a training run, both in Cardiff on 27th July and 7th September
- Be happy to be filmed and have your picture taken
- To share your stories and training journey with us
- Wear Run Wales branded clothing at the training event and on race day
- Make sure you have read the full T&C’s and are happy to abide by them
THE 100 PLACES HAVE NOW BEEN AWARDED. KEEP AN EYE OUT FOR THE #RUNWALES100 LADIES ON RACE DAY, AND LEND THEM SOME SUPPORT IF YOU SEE THEM OUT ON THE COURSE!